When a 10-year-old Texas girl came face to face with a coiled rattlesnake, it was a tragedy waiting to happen. But luckily for Maya Delarosa, her dog Psycho was with her. Living up to his name, the Chihuaua-Poodle mix jumped between the girl and the snake, and he sustained a bite on his eyelid. Maya and her sister were able to retreat, and the family got Psycho to the vet quickly:
Veterinarian Doctor Vicki Dashley treated Psycho and agrees the dog is a hero and he’s also lucky.
“He’s just got a lot of swelling around that eye. We won’t know for sure until the swelling has gone down, but we think the eye is going to be saveable.”
This is not the first time we’ve posted about a dog saving a human from a venomous snakebite. (See here and here.) Dogs seem to know instinctively that the snakes are dangerous to people and intervene out of love and loyalty. Their heroism is simply astounding.