[Editor’s Note: “First Casts” is an occasional feature that highlights great fly-fishing content from around the Web—from how-to articles, to photo essays, to interesting reads.]
- The English site Eat, Sleep, Fish offers an interview with The Itinerant Angler’s Zach Matthews, a man who is usually the one asking the questions on his popular podcast.
- If you’re looking for a great piece of writing today, a fine story by Erin Block—”Winter Birds Don’t Sing”—is available on the Gray’s Sporting Journal site. The subtitle, “And the unsinkable Parachute Adams does not necessarily float” should pique your interest.
- Some scary news for Pacific anglers: sardine stocks are in free fall. An important article on Salon looks into the problem, its causes, and the potential catastrophic effects.
- Over on the Gink & Gasoline blog, Louis Cahill talks split shot, offering two advanced methods for attaching weight to your leader. This is the kind of useful, practical info that’s hard to come by…which is what makes G&G so great..
- Finally, my pal Morgan Lyle ran into John Gierach at the Somerset Fly Fishing Show and took the opportunity to ask the Sage of Colorado a few probing questions about fishing, life, and literature.