[Editor’s Note: “First Casts” will be a regular feature that highlights great fly-fishing content from around the Web—from how-to articles, to photo essays, to interesting reads.]
- Bay Area NBC offers a report on saving Marin County’s coho salmon, which are hovering near extinction.
- On the Deneki Outdoors blog, you can learn the 5 Things Your Guide Wishes You Would Do. Learn these, and you’ll be a favorite client forever.
- Writing on the “Fly Talk” blog at Field and Stream, Kirk Deeter offers perhaps the Best Hatch-Matching Story Ever, told to him by an intrepid female angler at a lodge in Tierra del Fuego.
- The Corpus Christie Caller features an article by David Sikes describing the excellent winter fishing on the Guadalupe River near New Braunfels, Texas.
- If you’re still not all that clear on the best ways to catch stillwater trout, Gareth Jones has some good advice on the Gink + Gasoline blog.
- Finally, my friend and revered fishing guide Brant Oswald describes the mechanics of accurate casting on Midcurrent. Learning to put your fly where you want it will definitely up your success rate.