In the tenth and final installment of their series on how to fish a spinner fall, Dave and Amelia Jensen discuss what to do if a fish refuses your fly or if you miss the strike. Sometimes, you need to change things up, while other times, you need to just walk away. Refusals can be very subtle, especially in the low light of dusk, so you need to know what to look for. And even though we like to tell ourselves that a fish we missed can be tempted to eat again, that’s often not the case.
Note: there is a final wrap-up episode, which we will post next Monday.
- Episode I: How to Fish a Spinner Fall, Introduction
- Episode II: How to Fish a Spinner Fall: Set Up
- Episode III: Understanding Rise Forms During a Spinner Fall
- Episode IV: Fly Selection for a Spinner Fall
- Episode V: How to Cast During a Spinner Fall
- Episode VI: How to Approach Trout During a Spinner Fall
- Episode VII: How to Set the Hook on Spinner-Eating Trout
- Episode VIII: Understanding How Conditions Affect a Spinner Fall
- Episode IX: How to Find Rising Fish During a Spinner Fall
Watch for further installments of Master Class Monday every week here at Orvis News, in the Advanced Tactics playlist our You Tube Channel, and on the new Advanced section of our Orvis Fly Fishing Learning Center.