Big News: Orvis Fly Fishing Podcast and the Orvis Hunting and Shooting Podcast are now available in their entirety on Spotify, which will update automatically when we upload new content.
This week, I have a fun discussion with Steve Rinella of the “MeatEater” podcast, TV show, and book. If you’re a diehard catch-and-release-always angler, you may want to pass this one up. But if you occasionally kill fish and want to honor the fish with proper care and preparation, you’ll find some very helpful advice. And some interesting side discussions along the way.
In The Fly Box, we have the usual array of questions–about tackle, techniques, and fly-fishing philosophy–including:
- Can I get one rod for pike, carp, musky, and Pacific salmon?
- What lines and leaders do I need for surf fishing?
- Can I have permission to use my stripping basket on trout streams?
- What flies will I need in Hawaii, and can you recommend a guide?
- Will dry flies work in the rain?
- How do I carry a net on my sling bag?
- What sunglasses do you recommend?
- Why do I keep missing strikes from smallmouths on a popper? Should I use a stinger hook?
- How do I get trout to come out from undercut banks to take my fly?
- Does smoky air from forest fires change the way insects hatch?
If you don’t see the “Play” button above, click here to listen.