In this week’s interview, you’ll learn how to decide between a canoe and a kayak, what kind to get, and how to maneuver and cast using these hard-sided watercraft. (Next week, I’ll be doing a podcast on inflatables.) Ryan Lilly is a fly fisher and Old Town’s expert on fishing from these smaller craft, and has many great suggestions for how to make the most out of your canoe or kayak experience.
In the Fly Box, we have some interesting questions that I’m sure will be of interest to many of you, as well as some thoughtful tips from other listeners, including:
- What do beadhead nymphs imitate?
- Aren’t flies tied without beads more natural in the water? Isn’t it more natural to use a nymph without any added weight?
- How do you fish wet flies? Do you use a single one or more than one? And do you ever use weighted wet flies?
- I recently saw a bunch of large carp in a pond in Florida. Why didn’t I see any smaller ones?
- I had trouble getting a good drift against the slow water on the far bank of a river. Every time I tried to mend, my line the small dry fly sank. What else could I have done?
- Can I fish two dry flies at once?
- A suggestion from a listener on why upgrading from an entry level fly line is a wise investment.
- Are there any performance differences between a 6-piece rod and a 4-piece rod?
- How can I get an extra tip for my Orvis rod?
- A great tip from a listener on how to make a device to hold scrap pieces of tippet using two pieces of Velcro.
- I am going to a place where they have stocked golden rainbows. Do these fish behave any differently from normal rainbows?
- Can I use a Poly Leader for tarpon?
- Is there any difference between up-eye and down-eye hooks?
- A tip from a listener on how to change thread colors with a permanent marker.
- A tip from a listener on how to keep a partially used tube of Aquaseal stay fresh.
- Why do people hold bass by the jaw? I have heard that this can dislocate their jaw.
- I am taking my first guided trip. Should I do a float trip or a walk/wade trip?
One thought on “Podcast: Fly Fishing from Canoes and Kayaks, with Ryan Lilly of Old Town Canoe”