This week, I have a chat with noted permit guide and film maker Capt. Will Benson. We discuss the idea of an angler as athlete, and how he and some of his clients prepare for big permit tournaments, both mentally and physically. You may have no interest in fishing tournaments, but for some of your fishing trips, you may have invested a lot of time, money, and emotional expectations. Will gives some great, and most unusual, ideas to make sure you get the most out of your trips.
In the Fly Box, we cover the following questions from listeners:
- Do trout ever get “information overload” during a heavy hatch?
- What is a basic saltwater outfit for fishing the Gulf?
- How do spring creek trout differ from stocked trout in tailwaters?
- Why aren’t all flies sold with barbless hooks?
- What is the difference between a $15 spool of fluorocarbon tippet and a $10 200-yard spool of spinning line?
- Will two-handed casting ruin my overhead casting technique?
- Why do I miss fish when trolling for trout?
- Can I fish lakes on a backpacking trip with a Tenkara rod?
- What are some good basic books on trout stream insects for New England?
If you don’t see the “Play” button above, click here to listen.