Big News: Orvis Fly Fishing Podcast and the Orvis Hunting and Shooting Podcast are now available in their entirety on Spotify, which will update automatically when we upload new content.
This week I have the pleasure of interviewing Jenny Mayrell-Woodruff—the Orvis-endorsed Freshwater Guide of the Year for 2018. Jenny has recently relocated to Montana to run a lodge on Rock Creek, and she took time out of her very busy schedule to share her knowledge of late-summer terrestrial fishing. It’s an educational podcast and a timely one.
In the Fly Box, we explore a wide range of topics, as usual:
- How to transition from small trout streams to big rivers
- Why do I keep missing fish when fishing mouse patterns at night?
- Can I use perfection loops in the middle of my leader to add droppers?
- What is the best way to touch up the blades of nippers?
- How do I make my fly attract trout by its entry into the water?
- What happens to Tricos when nighttime air temperatures don’t go below 70 degrees?
- Do tippet rings wear out?
- Can I use my Clearwater line for trout fishing?
- Do you measure the cast length from your body or from the rod tip?
- How do you prospect for trout in long, slow pools?
- What do you do if a big trout runs downstream and the water is too deep to wade below it?
If you don’t see the “Play” button above, click here to listen.