[Interview starts at 38:10.]
I get frequent questions from listeners on what I would recommend they read in fly-fishing literature, as there is so much out there it’s tough to sort through it to find what’s worth reading. Michael Checchio is a retired journalist and investigative reporter, as well as a student of fly-fishing books, so we spend some time discussing what he feels are must-reads (or maybe just interesting reads) in the vast river of what has been written about fly fishing.
Here is Michael’s list:
- A River Runs through It by Norman Maclean
- “Big Two-Hearted River” by Ernest Hemingway (short story)
- Ninety-Two in the Shade by Thomas McGuane
- The River Why by David James Duncan
- The Longest Silence by Thomas McGuane
- The Angler’s Coast and Dark Waters by Russell Chatham
- The Curtis Creek Manifesto by Sheridan Anderson
- “Hat Creek” and “Deeds Among the Steelhead” by Bill Barich (magazine articles; may be tough to find)
- The Spawning Run by William Humphrey
- Trout Bum by John Gierach
- “The Same River Twice” by David Quammen (published in Outside Magazine)
- “A Sporting Life” by Jim Harrison (magazine article, may be tough to find)
- My Story as Told by Water by David James Duncan
In the Fly Box, we have lots of questions and tips, including:
- How do I know when to strip strike and when to trout strike?
- Do I really need to go barbless on small dry-fly hooks?
- How do I know what size material to use if I want to lengthen my leader?
- A great tip from a listener on learning to cast with your “off” hand
- A tip from a listener on wetting new tying materials befor you use them to see what color they will be
- Why do I only see larger wild brown trout in one section of a river I fish?
- How do I see my sighter in difficult lighting conditions?
- If I am fishing for stocked rainbows and grayling, where should I place my grayling fly—on the bottom or on the dropper?
- Should I use my 10-foot 7-weight Recon that I use for steelhead for streamer fishing from a boat for trout?
- What is the main difference between a Helios D and Helios F rod when fishing for bonefish?
- My bamboo ferrule only fits ¾ of the way to full engagement. Is that OK?
- Why do I see steelhead smolt in my river but never chinook salmon smolt?
- Is there any way to get the bad smell off a bucktail?
- Why don’t people fish bucktails much these days?
- Is there a way to tell a northern strain from a southern strain brook trout visually?