In honor of Father’s Day–and since Tom is on vacation-we’ve pulled a popular show from the archives on how to teach young people how to fly fish. Tom should be back next week with your questions.
In this podcast, Tom offers a 10-step plan for getting a kid into fly fishing. These are proven methods based on his own experience and that of others he talked to in the course of researching a book called Orvis Guide to Family Friendly Fly Fishing. He also adds three tips for getting teenagers into fly fishing.
In the Fly Box, topics include:
- the old 10 o’clock to-1 o’clock casting technique
- casting into the wind with big poppers and other bass flies
- attaching a new fly line to backing that’s already on a reel using a loop
- the correct size sink tip fly line to buy, and
- “new school” vs. “old school” fly fishing
Happy Father’s Day to all the dads out there!
If you don’t see the “Play” button above, click here to listen.
One thought on “Podcast: Ten Tips on Getting Young People into Fly Fishing”