In honor of Father’s Day–and since Tom is still out on the road-we’ve pulled a popular show from the archives on how to teach young people how to fly fish. Tom should be back next week with your questions.
In this podcast, Tom offers a 10-step plan for getting a kid into fly fishing. These are proven methods based on his own experience and that of others he talked to in the course of researching a book called Orvis Guide to Family Friendly Fly Fishing. He also adds three tips for getting teenagers into fly fishing.
In the Fly Box, topics include:
- the old 10 o’clock to-1 o’clock casting technique
- casting into the wind with big poppers and other bass flies
- attaching a new fly line to backing that’s already on a reel using a loop
- the correct size sink tip fly line to buy, and
- “new school” vs. “old school” fly fishing
Happy Father’s Day to all the dads out there!
If you don’t see the “Play” button above, click here to listen.