Big News: Orvis Fly Fishing Podcast and the Orvis Hunting and Shooting Podcast are now available in their entirety on Spotify, which will update automatically when we upload new content.
This week I interview my old friend Jeremy Benn, longtime Orvis employee and head of our Outfitter Team in Roanoke , Virginia. These are the wonderful people who answer all your tackle questions via e-mail, telephone, and live chat. There are certain questions they get (and I get on podcast requests) over and over again, including:
- What rod do I need for….?
- Can I use the same fly rod outfit for XXX and XXX?
- Do I really get something more when I buy a more expensive rod?
- How much backing do I need?
- What leader do I need for XXX?
- I am going to XXX What flies do I need?
- What is the best knot?
In the Fly Box this week, here is a sample of the kinds of questions I try to answer:
- How do I become a fishing guide?
- When do I fish upstream and when do I fish downstream?
- Why do you put barrel swivels on your braided leaders? (We don’t.)
- How do you avoid breaking your rod when getting flies out of trees?
- What will be the effects of the recent hurricane on trout and saltwater fishing in North Carolina?
- How often do you fish parachutes and Sparkle Duns as opposed to traditional dry flies?
- How long can you keep a trout in a net if it has cool running water in the net?
- Can I use my switch rod for schoolie stripers?
- What flies should I use for landlocked Atlantic salmon?
- How do I target cruising salmon and steelhead on the Chicago shoreline?
- What happened to the Orvis app?
- Why can’t I catch trout in tailwaters on streamers from my canoe?
- Plus two great fly-tying tips from a listener.
If you don’t see the “Play” button above, click here to listen.