Take an All-New Phil Monahan Fly-Fishing Trivia Challenge 02.27.14

Written by: Phil Monahan

Welcome to another edition of our trivia challenge, where we test your knowledge of all things fly fishing and where you might learn a thing or two about this sport we love. This week, we’ve got ten new questions on fish foods and the flies that imitate them. Remember: Each question asks for the BEST answer, as you can often makle a case for any fly being a pretty good imitation.

The scores on the last week’s Latin-based Trivia Challenge were not bad at all, withย 4 100%s (congratulations Doug, Dennis Durham, Bill Loverage, and Marshall J) and 8 90%s. The questions were tougher than those the week before, so I am again impressed by how knowledgeable y’all are.

The randomly chosen winner of this weekโ€™s quiz will receive a copy of Great Fishing Lodges of North America by Paul Fersen, a gorgeous coffee-table book. The winner of our last quiz (as determined by random.org) wasย Cpt Red, who scored a very respectable 80%.

So, take this weekโ€™s quiz, and no matter how well or poorly you do, post your score in the comments below to be eligible to win a cool Buff.

Good luck!

Do you know what this baby imitates?
Photo via orvis.com

214 thoughts on “Take an All-New Phil Monahan Fly-Fishing Trivia Challenge 02.27.14

1. winston

90%, I use gurglers but never thought of them as wounded minnow but a clouser with the up and down is more like it to me.

2. Andrew

80% The wounded baitfish got me, as did the fact that I really wasn’t familiar with any of the patterns on the salmonfly question. Fun regardless!

3. Bob

90% I’m with Winston a Clouser is a better imitation of a wounded baitfish than a gurgler. I use gurglers all the time in Saltwater

4. Roman

30% thats not good, with hundreds of flies in my boxes one would hope that i’d know whats what,,,, o well maybe this nice book would teach me ๐Ÿ™‚

5. Winston Atkins

80 percent. Especially after last week, that feels good. By the way, Phil–my Latin 1 teacher made a point of taking me aside and recommending that I not take Latin 2. I took her advice.

6. Chris Hunt

80% the salmon fly could have gone either way and question the answer for an injured minnow. The closure seems like a better choice.

7. RiverSong

50%! Fly quizzes are great. Keep ’em coming!
    I went back and changed 4 answers to make them wrong. Bizarre how these quizzes consistently prove I should always go with my gut. I have never seen the Gurgler as a wounded baitfish compared to a Clouser. So I still would’ve gotten only 90%.

8. BradW

90%, though I am going to dispute the answer to #9. It was my understanding that the red flashabou throat was designed to mimic blood coming from the gills of a baitfish. That seems pretty wounded to me.
    Always fun even when that 100% is elusive. Thanks for putting these out each week Phil.

9. Alan Y

90% I also use gurglers but never thought of them as wounded minnow but a clouser with the up and down jigging motion is more like a wounded minnow to me as well.

10. mary_ann_krebs

90% I also thought the closure was the better choice. I would think that a fish swimming upside down isn’t feeling very well ๐Ÿ™‚

11. BILLY BOB

I enjoyed taking the quiz, My score was a 70% but I was Lucky to get that with a lot of guesses. Thanks. It really pumps you up for opening day!!!!!!!!!!!!!

12. Michael

80%. I may not know how to tie all of those flies, but it looks I know which ones to choose based on the situation. This is by far one of the better scores I’ve had ๐Ÿ™‚ Great quiz!

13. Cpt Red

50%- Proving once again that you don’t need to be smart to win, just lucky. Thanks again Phil & Orvis Co.

14. Lane Mortensen

I got 70% although I take issue with a Turk’s Tarantula not imitating an adult Salmon Fly! Great quiz. Thanks Phil!

15. okieflier

70% I’m happy. Lots of choices with fly selection for any given situation. A little knowledge and best guess, right!?!

16. Doyle Craker

70%
    I agree, gurglers are more “froggy” than “fishy”. Although, I have heard that if you cut off the lip and spin the body on the hook so that it floats sideways, that it will dive and swim like a wounded fish. Haven’t tried that, yet, but I will try it this summer.

17. Pingback: Take an All-New Phil Monahan Fly-Fishing Trivia Challenge 03.06.14 | Orvis News