We’re re-introducing a new feature on the Fly Fishing blog, in which we ask well-known anglers and guides to give us their Top 10 patterns. Sometimes the list will be species- or water-specific, but we’ll also feature collections of flies you should never be without, no matter where or when you are fishing.
Obviously, these are subjective lists—based on personal experience and angling prejudices—so your own list may be quite different. But it’s always interesting to get a peak into another fly fisherman’s fly box.
We kick things off with our own Tom Rosenbauer—host of the Orvis Fly-Fishing Guide Podcast, author of the Orvis Fly-Fishing Guide (among many other books), and all-around great guy. In his 35 years with Orvis, Tom has fished for trout in more waters, in more situations, and under more conditions than almost anyone on the planet, and these are the flies he always carries:
Pattern Style Sizes
1. Pheasant Tail Nymph nymph 16-20
2. Hare’s Ear Nymph nymph 8-18
3. Copper John nymph 10-16
4. Parachute Adams dry 12-22
5. Eck Caddis dry 14-20
6. Orange Stimulator dry 8-16
7. Baetis Comparadun dry 16-24
8. Griffith’s Gnat emerger 16-24
9. Rabbit’s Foot Emerger emerger 14-18
10. Black Tunghead Woolly Bugger streamer 4-10