The folks at Trouts Fly Fishing in Denver are adding a twist to their “Five Flies” videos by doing some that are species-specific, rather than month-specific. In the latest installment, Ivan Orsic and Alec Gerbec run down a list of patterns that you’ll want to have in your box if you’re chasing redfish. Ivan has caught two reds on the fly, so he’s an expert. His guest, Alec Gerbec, does have a lot of experience, and he offers plenty of advice on how to fish these patterns, too.
1. Po Boy (black and purple, size 2)
2. Electric Bunny (rust, size 2/0)
3. Lil Muddy Buddy ( black and purple, size 2)
4. Captain Gregg (purple and tan, size 2)
5. Lexo’s Pop-Up Crab (tan, size 2 and 4)