Written by: Andrew Pierce, Orvis Adventures Marketing Manager
Saturday morning was awful. We got up at 3:30a.m. and headed north to a new spot on Lake Champlain in upstate New York. . .only to find the boat ramp and bay completely iced in. Panic set in, and we hauled to the two nearest boat ramps, where we found the same story. (“Nearest” is a relative term, since the ramps were all about 25 miles apart, and we were racing against the sunrise). Pretty embarrassing.
Beaten but not defeated, we decided to make the best of the day, since we were already up. Someone said, “Let’s just head South as far as we can until we find open water.” Luckily, that’s what the ducks must have been thinking, too. It was a very long day, but ended up being well worth it.